Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Welbourne Plans

Welbourne will be in spring this year, which will be a new experience for us all.  My list is surprisingly small this year, but there are a few things I plan to get accomplished.

Firstly, I want to finish the Berlin wool work slippers that match the Greek key wrapper.  The design is done-I just need to fill in with black.  I attempted Berlin slippers a few years ago but although I did test a pattern, the resulting slippers were too narrow for me.  I don't even know what I did with them.  They may be in the house somewhere.  This time I made a pattern and tested it in silk prior to drawing the same pattern onto the needlework fabric.  So they SHOULD fit.  I made the pattern myself to specifically match the wrapper.  I'm making them to match the contrast greek key part of the wrapper.  The only thing is that I switched the blue and the redish color on the slippers and I'm not entirely sure I want to redo it.


More info on those to come.

The next project is a nice, fully tucked underskirt/petticoat.  I want something nice that will show through a sheer skirt and also something a little fancier that can show when I pull up my skirt.  I HATE tucks with a passion so we'll see if I make it though this project.

I'm bringing the lilac Chantilly gown for evening, as well as my sheer bodice and black silk jacket that could be used with the skirt as an extra outfit.  For day dresses, I'm thinking the red plaid silk, the red wool (that doesn't have a post yet), and a brown sheer wool gauze (that also doesn't have a post).  So no new dresses.  I am going to add a lavender silk ribbon with ribbon from my stash as a necktie for the brown wool gauze to add a pop of color.  That should be an easy project, though.

I am also going to make some external skirt lifters from Godey's for the brown wool gauze as tape skirt lifters would show through the sheer fabric.

Godey's Lady's Book 1862
I'm going to use some silk ribbon to do them.  I ordered some green and brown ribbon to make some skirt lifters.  Either one would go with the skirt and Godey's doesn't specify if they should match the dress or contrast.

The next project is recovering a lace parasol.  I'm bringing three parasols-one marquis, the English striped one, and the lace one.  The lace one had a black cover and lining originally and will be recovered using the same.  It had a full lace cover that is in very poor condition so I'm going to use some original Chantilly lace as ruffles until I can source out a new cover.

The only sewing project after that is to possibly make another fan.  I have some sticks to be used and several fat quarters of silk taffeta.  It would be nice to have something other than black spangled and plain pink.  I'm not sure what color yet-I have several ideas in mind.

After that, if I have time, I'd like to do an 1863 or 1864 Godey's so we can peruse it during the weekend.  I need to get clarification on what year we're doing, though.

So yeah.  No big projects this year-just mostly accessories to add to my impression.  The biggest thing will be the petticoat and slippers.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment