Wednesday, March 4, 2020

An 1840's Work Dress

It definitely was not in my plans to ever do the 1840's, even though I do admire their elegant simplicity.  However, 1844 is the year generally portrayed by Landmark Inn so I decided I would eventually need something for that time period.  However, for the TLHA conference, I took a hearth cooking class and as I wanted to be dressed out all weekend, I needed a working class dress that could get dirty and get washed.  Neither one of my later cotton dresses fit and as I needed an 1840's dress anyway, I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

I picked my pattern first-I used Truly Victorian's 1845 German pattern.  I picked the German pattern as Landmark Inn was settled by people from Alsace, a little place right between France and Germany.  I figured it would be close to the dresses someone in that area would be sewing and wearing.

I'm not sure how exactly I picked which fabric to use.  It was a reproduction fabric that was only $5/yard which was really attractive and it was in a color that works on me.  I've found similar cotton prints in scale and color so it looks like it was a good pick.


Since it was a new pattern, I first made a mock up.  My measurements fit size H exactly but I don't have a mile long torso so I cut size C at the shoulders.  The resulting pattern fit perfectly-I just had to take in about 1/2" on either side just below the bust and take about 1" off at the shoulders near the neck.  I made pattern pieces from the mock up in case I decide to make another 40s dress at some point and cut out the fashion fabric.

The dress went together fairly easily.  It is hand sewn, of course!  I cheated on the skirt and used my smocking pleater to 'gauge' the skirt.  With only 3 panels and my waist size, it worked just as well as hand doing it all and it went so much faster.








It was so comfortable to wear!  I only had to wear 3 petticoats (under, corded, and over) to make it puff out quite nicely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment