Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Pair of Aprons

Although I generally do high-class events and portray very wealthy people, I find myself-every once in a while-wishing I had a bit more diversity in my wardrobe.  Things like cleaning up after dinner or helping to serve meals causes me to wish that I at least had something to over my silks with to prevent them from getting soiled.  That is why I made an apron two years ago for Welbourne.  Just a week before the event, I realized I would want one and quickly went to Walmart-the only fabric place within an hour's drive at this time-and bought really the only thing remotely appropriate.  It's a redish 'homespun' looking fabric that worked quite well just to stitch up into a half apron in just a few hours.




I meant to add pockets but never got around to it and then lost the pocket pieces.  So no pockets, which is just fine.  This one was entirely hand sewn, which is nice for earlier events.

This year, I felt the need for a pinner apron just to give me more variety and coverage.  Not knowing much about aprons, but knowing that I've seen originals in white and I had just purchased a big bolt of white muslin for 1830's underpinnings, I went with white this time.




This one was machine sewn as I was running out of time to get it done before needing it, but that's just fine as the Groce family bought a sewing machine in 1847 so machine sewing is good for most of what I do.

Neither apron used a pattern to be made up-all the pieces are just basically rectangles in different sizes.  They aren't fancy, but they are practical!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment