Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Winter Hood

Wanting a piece of headwear that could be used in a variety of decades (1840s-1860s) and situations (lower class to upper), I decided to make a winter hood.  I technically have one made from a Godey's pattern but I used felted wool which is incorrect so while I haven't gotten rid of it, I don't use it.

I've been wanting to make a winter set that is peacock themed.  Mantle, muff, hood, etc.  I purchased this fabric for the mantle and hood:


It's darker than the picture-beautiful peacock blue and green and a rich royal purple for the main color.  I thought that peacock feathers would go well with the color scheme.

For the lining I cut apart my peacock tissue taffeta silk.  I don't wear the dress often and am trying to streamline my wardrobe since I'm branching out a few decades earlier.  The fabric is purple shot with green but it looks blue so it works with the wool very, very well.
I chose a 100% organic cotton batting as I couldn't find wool batting anywhere local.

I went back and forth on whether I wanted a tuffed hood or a quilted hood. I'm going to quilt the mantle and wanted them to match closely but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of a tuffed hood.  Plus, Elizabeth Stewart Clark has nice little instructions on using the sunbonnet pattern on her website to make a tuffed hood.  It is based off this original:


It was a quick easy project and turned out nice.







Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment