Friday, January 17, 2020

A Winter Jacket in Double Crochet

Although Welbourne was canceled this fall, I still managed to get many projects for it completed.  First on my list was for a nice, warm, jacket.  It is much colder in Virginia than I am used to in Texas!  Plus, it will come in handy during Civil War Weekend and during the TLHA conference as it can get a bit chilly at times.

I do have plans for an embroidered jacket eventually but as I can knit and crochet much faster, I decided to go that route.  Peterson's winter jacket in double crochet, published in 1864, answered my needs nicely.


I knew before making it up that it wouldn't match the illustration as I have seen it made up on a few friends.  I chose blue and green as those are my favorite colors.  I purchased the wool yarn from Knit Picks-it was their Palette fingering weight yarn.  I purchased 15 skeins of blue (but only used about half of that) and less than a skein of peapod green.  I used a J sized hook, which made up quite nicely.

The directions were easy to follow and it went together fairly quickly.  If I did it again, I'd shorten the arms by 10 stitches as they are a tad long on me.






Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment