Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A Mid 1860's Parasol with Eyelash Trim

Black parasols sure were common in the 1860's-they are everywhere.  This is another one that fits that pattern.  It is trimmed with something I have heard referred to as 'eyelash fringe'.  Quite interesting, it's like tiny strips of thick silk fabric with silk fringe underneath.  Interesting texture!







The description made it sound like there were 3 broken ribs.  Imagine my surprise when I took her apart and there was only one broken rib.  The other two were merely bent and went quickly back into shape.  Of course, there is no finial, only a piece of bone from the shaft that has screws.

Before I could fix the rib, I had to uncover it.  Most of the lining was already gone so it was just a matter of taking off the fringe then unattaching the cover.  Underneath the fringe, I found a metal hook that probably originally went on the upper portion and had a bit of elastic and tassel to hold the parasol closed when not in use.  Here are uncovered pictures:






I don't know if you can see it on the last picture, but there is an engraving in the brass end.  This is where I learned of the parasol's origin.  It reads E. Charageat ... (the rest of covered by the ribs but is probably a patent number).  A quick google search pulled up a book about the Great Exhibition of 1851 called "Official Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue", volume 3.  The top left entry on page 1233, it reads:

          1144 Charageat, Emile, 268 Rue St Denis, Cour
                          des Bleus, Paris--Manufacturer.
              Umbrellas, parasols, of new and improved forms and
          construction,  with handles of different materials.  Mar-
         quees.

So, Emile Charageat made my parasol way back around 1860.  I even have an address for the shop!  You can guess where I'm visiting if I ever find myself back in Paris.  I'm searching this place up!

From pictures online, I figured it may have been Italian or Germany.  Definitely European, but I didn't think French because it had fringe and usually ruffles ruled in the 1860's.  I just think of France as being the height of fashion and wasn't expecting to find a fringed 1860's parasol from France.  However, fringe came back in very shortly for 1864/1865 so that's probably when this parasol was made.

It is actually a marquis-just a different patent that E. Charageat patented and sold.  You have to pull down the brass sleeve to reveal the marquis part.  It makes it more secure and the marquis part doesn't 'wobble' when it is not in use as other marquis parasols do.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment