Monday, September 14, 2020

Pink Rose Headdress

In an effort to build up some of the lacking aspects of my wardrobe, I have embarked on making several evening headdresses-starting with this one meant to go with the cotton candy silk dress posted last week (although it will go with both my other 1850s dresses as well).  I based it off this painting from 1853:

Portrait of Mademoiselle Durand, 1853

Isn't she elegant?  I love the contrast between the light pink florals and her stark black gown.  It makes me think this headdress would work very well with the black silk evening bodice that is still to come-that is, if the headdress wouldn't be nearly 10 years out of date by the time the black dress would have been made!

My supplies included some millinery wire (unknown gauge; I've had this stuff for years.  It's mostly 18-22 gauge), 2 velvet rose sprays and 4 azalea bunches from Timely Tresses (all in pink), and some 1.5" black velvet ribbon and silk sleeves from the stash.

I first took a length of millinery wire and made a headband, 1.25" wide.  This was covered in velvet ribbon.  After that, it was time to arrange the flowers and hide the stems.  Then the whole thing was stitched up neatly and the basting stitches from earlier were taken out.  And now I have a nice little 1850s headdress!









Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment