Monday, September 21, 2020

Another 1830s Cap

Yes, another one... mostly because I was bored and these things make up super quick-even by hand!

I used "The Workwoman's Guide" again, with figure 1 and 2 in plate 15.  Directions were found on page 121 of my copy.



The actual making of the cap wasn't too difficult-making the pattern on the other hand required some brain power.  Some of the measurements were missing from the directions and the plate was so small that it was hard to read the letters that were there.  Eventually, though, I got a working pattern piece.

I chose to cut my cap out of spotted muslin again.  I had plenty of fabric left and I like the effect it gives.  I won't say that spotted muslin caps are super popular-most of the originals I've seen are either plain cotton or plain cotton that has been embroidered, but originals do show up spotted.

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Here's an original made with a very similar pattern to the young lady's cap from "The Workwoman's Guide".

Whitaker's Auctions (Tasha Tudor Collection)

I trimmed mine with lace and blue silk satin ribbon.  I was concerned at first with how tight across the head the cap seemed to be but once I put my hair in the right spot, it magically fit really well.  And it fits a lot more hair than it looks like it would!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment