Monday, July 13, 2020

Riding Habit... Finally Completed Habit

A couple of years ago, I made lots of posts on riding habits and my plan for one.  Here are links to the posts in case you missed them.

Riding Aside (Original Saddle)
Initial Research
Riding Assessories

The habit has been completed for a while, I just have not had a chance or an opportunity to wear it for a white.  However, I did at Welbourne three years ago!  Since the Dulany family were equestrians, I knew it would make sense to break out the riding habit.

The following photos are taken by Jessica M. Craig, at the 1861 (2017) Welbourne event.

Back of the gown with all the braiding.

Side, with horse friends in the background!  I love the graceful disarray of the veil.

Front of the gown.  Belt wouldn't go on that day, unfortunately.

On our way to a walk.

Posing on the bridge.

Skittish horse and gentle equestrian.

Another back view.

Friendly horse!

The fabric is a light wool from Hancock Fabrics years ago.  I had been eyeing it for several months but at $25 a yard, I was not going for it.  Then, for Black Friday, all their wools were on sale for $3 a yard.  I bought the hole bolt.  To this date it is the only time I have ever been Black Friday shopping.  Totally worth it.  I got a skirt, two separate bodices, and, of course, a riding habit. I originally thought I would have to take apart the dress for the habit, then realized that I had plenty of leftover fabric to make a riding habit and keep the dress until I can fit into again.  Or alter it.  Whatever.

Many original sources for riding habits state the cherry red was a popular color.  So, I trimmed my riding habit in the color.  I used cotton velveteen for the trim.  I also used some cherry soutache braid to braid some patterns on the back of the habit as well as the accessories that go with the gown.

The undershirt/undersleeves which I made as a whole separate bodice, is made of linen.  I didn't do all the frills in the original inspiration... instead, I put some horizontal tucks in to give it some detail without the ruffles.

I still haven't had a chance to really fix up the original saddle other than oiling it and trying to get it looking spiffy again.  It's missing a few pieces but there is a saddle maker/restorer a couple of towns over from Liendo that has done side saddle restoration before so I may end up taking it to him.  So, unfortunately, I haven't been able to experience riding in the habit.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment