Sunday, December 11, 2016

Riding Aside

I bought a circa 1800-1820 side saddle online and it just came in.







I have ridden horses since before I could walk.  Soon after, my fascination with side saddles began.  I've always ridden Western but there were times when I had my horse, Yoda, that I would ride aside (bareback, of course, since I didn't have a saddle).  We couldn't go more than a walk, though, or I'd fall off. When I started living history 8 years ago, my first wish was a nice riding habit and a side saddle, but I restrained myself and made useful outfits first.  Besides, Yoda had passed and I had no horse to ride.

Well, I still don't have a horse but I have a roommate with one so I have the next best thing.  I have really been thinking about riding aside again.  When I saw the side saddle for sale, I couldn't help myself.  It's a little earlier than my time period, but not super out of date.  I'm looking forward to getting to restore it and possibly use it eventually.  Restoration and riding habit plans coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Super interested to hear more! I own two horses, and it's kind of weird that I feel like the only blogger that hasn't done a riding habit. Even though I have a horse. I ride Western too, so the whole side-saddle thing feels like a stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sat on the saddle and it is amazing how comfortable it is. You aren't really sitting to the side then turning your torso forward like I assumed. You are actually sitting forward with your legs sitting to the side-like you were sitting Princess Diaries style on a chair. It feels a lot of secure than I thought it would-I don't feel like I would slide off, even at a brisk pace.

    ReplyDelete