Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Riding Aside - Accessories

There are so many pieces to riding habits that I never even realized.  I have several pieces completed and am ready to share.  Again, the inspiration is:



First off, is the hat.  I used Lynn McMasters' pattern.  It is silk covered buckram.  The veil is silk gauze that has been narrow hemmed.  I used peacock feathers and the red velvet to decorate it.






Then, the gloves.  I used a 1 oz. sheep skin leather, red soutache, and the Butterick gloves pattern.



I also made the belt and the bag that is on the belt.  For the belt, I used a black silk.  For the bag, I used the same leather and soutache as the gloves and created my own pattern.  I've attached it at the end so that someone else can use it.  I forgot to get a picture of the strap pattern, but that is just a 10" strip of leather folded and half and sewn to the back of the bag.




And all three together:



I've also been doing some research on accessories for the horse.  It was hard to find a bridle at a decent price as period ones have both a browband and a noseband.  They looked very much like English bridles today.  I finally found one that is dark brown like the saddle.  I also bought a snaffle bit-The Young Lady's Equestrian Manual shows both snaffle and curb bits so I know those were around.  The equestrian manual states that double reins should be used but I found an equal number of paintings showing single vs. double reins so I'm going to use single for a while.

http://www.horse.com/item/economy-raised-snaffle-bridle-with-reins/ECH10/

I also bought an English girth for the saddle.  It saddle is rideable as is once it has a girth.  The leather skirt on the off side is pretty cracked, but I can get that fixed at a later date.

I bought a horse whip on Amazon-it looks correct but probably isn't made of the right materials.  I just bought a black one and will use it until I perhaps get an original or something.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh this is neat! Will you be wearing this to Welbourne this year? They were certainly a very equestrian family so it would be so appropriate!

    ReplyDelete