Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Starching Petticoats

Ah, my least favorite part of doing pre-hoop events.  I must confess I hardly bother with it if wearing a hoop (I starch once a year, usually just prior to Welbourne) although it should be happening at least every few events.  But getting the loft without a hoop, starching is very necessary.

I have heard great things about potato starch, but I usually just get the cheap gallon of starch from the store.


I usually do it full strength or sometimes mix in just a little water to soften it up a bit.  I have a nice pot I use for canning that I also use for starching.


After soaking the petticoats, I get to hang them out in the garden to dry on the line.  I am very thankful for privacy fences but I do wonder what the neighbors along the one chain length fence are thinking when I hang a multitude of petticoats to drip dry.




This time, I realized I still had carrots in the garden that I had forgotten about so I had a little bonus to snack on while ironing!  I didn't get a good picture, but here's one I got as I was moving the camera.


And then when the petticoats are just barely damp, I get to do my least favorite part.  The ironing.  It feels like it takes forever and is just a pain to do.


Then they get hung up for the event.  I got to wear them at Landmark Inn this year.  Let's just say I'll be happy for Civil War Weekend where I get to wear my hoop again!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment