Wednesday, November 20, 2019

A New Soft Crown Bonnet

Not that I needed another one, mind you.  I do so love soft crown bonnets, though.  I feel like they fit better on my head and just look better all around.




So I had some left over camel straw braid from Timely Tresses from another project which it was enough to make a brim for a bonnet.  I also had this lovely green and white checked silk taffeta that I only had a yard or so of and it wasn't enough for most projects.  The trimmings were leftovers from other bonnets so, basically, everything came from the stash and didn't cost me a thing.

The first step was to lay out the pattern (Timely Tresses' Ruby Victoria) and pin the straw on.  I actually have no idea how to properly make a straw bonnet and this was the easiest way I could think to make it up.  Then I stitched all the pieces together.  After adding wire all around, it made up like a regular soft crown bonnet.  I trimmed with with ivory and purple, which I think sets off the green nicely.

























I actually made it for a red wool dress I haven't posted yet (but will do so soon) as my black polka dotted soft crown bonnet is trimmed with a lot of red and I felt it was too much with the dress and the bonnet.

The bonnet hasn't been worn yet but I hope to do so at Civil War Weekend at Liendo.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment