Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Truely Tiny Parasol

This was actually my first parasol with rattan (wood/cane) ribs.  She was also my first (non-1870) parasol with a bone stick.  She isn't recovered yet-she's still sitting in my closet naked.  She came to me without a cover so I really have no idea what would have been there originally.  Her finial is also broken-I believe she is missing a little bone 'bead' that would have held a bone ring inside it.  The part I do have of the finial is vegetable ivory.  I do wonder if I can use a bone bead and just somehow adhere it to the finial to fix it.  That'll be another thing to contend with when I decide to fix her up.










She has a broken rib that I still haven't attempted to fix so she'll have to stay naked until I finish that.  I do have some extra rattan (from a 'scrap' parasol) that I'll use to fix her rib.  Measurements are:

Unfolded length: 21.25"
Folded length: 12"
Handle length: 9.25"
Length of (broken) finial: 1"
Rib length: 8.5"

I'm not sure exactly how I want to recover her.  I'm thinking a red stripe but I haven't found a fabric for it yet.  She's also going to need a new (or fixed) finial and I may end up painting her shaft again to freshen her up.  But I think it'll be a sweet little parasol when she's complete!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment