Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Basket Case Parasol

I'm posting this just to document this parasol, as it is being taken completely apart to fix other parasols.  Half the rattan ribs are broken and I'm using them to fix those rattan parasols that only have one or two broken ribs.  I'm keeping the basic frame and hopefully, one day, I may be able to put some ribs back on it to restore it.  These photos are so I can remember what it looked like.

Basically the cover is black and it has a single ruffle that is double layered, first with white and then black over top.  The main cover is folded over once at the hem and hand stitched down.  The ruffle (both layers) appears to have been scalloped at one point.  Finial is broken but looks similar to an 1840's finial.  I believe the parasol is British, like a lot of my other wooden parasols, but it could be German or Italian or even French.  The frame is black and it does fold.  The measurements are: 12" long folded (would have been longer with a complete finial), 23" long unfolded (would have been longer with a complete finial), 11.5" handle, 8.5" long ribs, 1.25" long (broken) finial.









Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment