Monday, December 21, 2020

Recreating an 1830s Watercolor Box and Portfolio

 This is something I definitely never thought I'd be making as I've never was into painting or drawing.  I received very little instruction in these mediums and they never particularly appealed to me.  But as I am striving to educate myself to the extend of a highly educated woman in the 19th century (due to living history personas' education levels-I have to be able to pass as one of them while in character!  It's not like living historians get a script!), art was on my list of things to learn.  As such, I needed a pretty little box to store art supplies.  A short trip down research lane landed me with several options.
Hygra.com, 1829-1830
This one is especially neat as the artist's paintings
are still with the set!

Hygra.com, 1830-1840

Hygra.com, 1799-1816

Aren't they cute?  I opted to make mine look more like the last one.  I bought a simple walnut box off Amazon, a little smaller than the originals, but the same proportions. It doesn't have a drawer so I had to build a tray with extra wood.  I also bought the locking system and key from Amazon.  The stain and sealer were left over from another project.  It turned out cute!

For the interior, I chose two glass cups that I already had, some decent sable hair brushes (I made sure they had wood handles and I ended up painting over the company name on the handle to give it more of a period feel without the modern company name on them), various erasers, and a few phials to put ink into.  I also ordered another bone pen and a set of nibs as well as a mixing tray (sold on Ebay as a dental tray) and some charcoal sticks.  I am still in the market for a flat porcelain mixing tray.  The only ones on the market are wood or plastic!

Then it was time for the paints.  Here are the receipts I used.

The watercolor base is 1 cup HOT water, 1/2 cup gum arabic, and 1/4 cup honey.  1/2 teaspoon of glycerin can be added to reduce cracking.  Mix until the gum arabic is completely dissolved (this can take about 15-20 minutes or longer).

The basic 'recipe' for the pigments that fit into my tray consists of 2 spoonfuls of watercolor base (called 'mix' in the recipes below) and 3 spoonfuls of pigment.

1. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp chalk
2. 2 tsp mix + 2 tsp ginger + 1/2 tsp chalk
3. 2 tsp mix + 2 tsp brilliant yellow + 1 tsp chalk (this came out too light-I'd suggest going all 3 tsp with the yellow)
4. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp orange ochre
5. 2 tsp mix + 2 tsp narcoat mica powder + 1 tsp chalk
6. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp raw sienna
7. 2 tsp mix + 1/2 tsp acid dye tobacco leaf + 1 drop vinegar + 1 1/2 tsp chalk
8. 2 tsp mix + 2 tsp violet ochre + 3/4 tsp chalk
9. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp smoked paprika + 1 tsp chalk
10. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp acid dye cayenne red + ¼ tsp vinegar + 2 tsp chalk
11. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp acid dye cabernet + 2 tsp chalk
12. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp shine red mica + 1 tsp chalk
13. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp cochineal + 1/2 tsp vinegar (this was before lake pigment, just using ground up bugs)
14. 2 tsp mix + 1/2 tsp acid dye sour apple + 1/2 tsp vinegar + 3 tsp chalk
15. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp acid dye moss green + 1/4 tsp vinegar + 3 tsp chalk
16. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp fiber dye granny apple + 1/8 tsp salt + 2 tsp chalk
17. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp dark green mica + 1 tsp apple green mica + 1 tsp chalk
18. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp terre verde + 1 tsp chalk
19. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp acid dye wedgewood blue + 2 tsp chalk
20. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp acid dye peacock blue + 2 tsp chalk
21. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp French turquoise + 2 tsp chalk
22. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp cobalt purple mica + 2 tsp chalk
23. 2 tsp mix + 1 stick charcoal
24. 2 tsp mix + 1/8 tsp indigo + 2 tsp chalk

After mixing them into the silicone tray, I put them to dry.  You can do this by air drying (avoid sunlight) or if you're impatient like me, in the oven.  I stuck mine in at around 150 or 200 degrees F.  I left mine in the oven overnight to dry and they turned out well.  Don't put them any higher than 200 as I tried 250 and my paints turned out holey and airy, and misshapen/burnt when I put them at 250 for 2 hours.  Lower for longer is better.  Here is the color key chart for how these recipes turned out:


After this first attempt, I tried making lake pigments, which is just taking a liquid dye and reducing it to powder form using alum and washing soda (which is one way to do it).  I made lots of lake pigments-including from natural things such as cochineal (which was suppose to yield a red but I ended up with purple), beetroot (an ugly gray color if you can believe it), and cabbage (blue, green, or purple depending on how much alum I added to the mix).  I also used the Dharma trading dyes and make lake pigments but I would like to continue to experiment with this.  I only ended up using one of my Dharma lake pigment paint blocks in my final box as I managed to burn most of them on 250 degrees F.

For my final 12 blocks, here is the color template of the colors: 


From left to right, here are the recipes.

1. 2 tsp mix + 2 tsp brilliant yellow + 1 tsp chalk
2. 2 tsp mix + 3/4 tsp acid dye tobacco leaf + 1 drop vinegar + 1 1/2 tsp chalk
3. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp orange ochre
4. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp raw sienna
5. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp red mica powder
6. 2 tsp mix + 1 stick charcoal (I didn't grind up the charcoal very well so it's lighter than the first batch)
7. 2 tsp mix + 3 tsp lake pigment made from Dharma's acid dye wedgewood blue
8. 2 tsp mix + 1/2 tsp acid dye peacock blue + 2 tsp chalk
9. 2 tsp mix + 1 tsp dark green mica + 1 tsp apple green mica + 1 tsp chalk
10. 2 tsp mix + 1/4 tsp fiber dye granny apple + 1/8 tsp salt + 2 tsp chalk
11.  2 tsp mix + 3 tsp terre verde

In addition to the box, I also made a portfolio to carry around my finished pieces and extra papers.  It is made with book board covered in leather on the outside and marbled paper on the inside.  I glued it all together with PVA bookbinding glue.  Then drilled holes to insert a lovely silk ribbon.  You see these types of portfolios a lot in paintings and fashion plates being used as an easel to draw upon.

Lady's Magazine, July 1830

"Portrait of the McEven Sisters" by Thomas Sully

Marie-Adelaide Durieux

Mode Parisiennes

Unknown

Unknown

Costume Parisian, 1816

Here is mine:



And the finished watercolor box:





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment