Monday, December 7, 2020

An 1850s Blue Checked Gown

This is another gown from the costume closet that needed some little updates.  I made this gown about 2 years ago, and although it was done very well, there was just a few things that needed to be done.

The fabric is a lovely large scale blue checked silk taffeta fabric I bought at Fabric Mart Fabrics at one of their $8/yard or $12/yard sales.  I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it.


It very much reminds me of the fabric this beautiful lady is wearing:

Unknown source

The basic design of the day dress was based off that photograph and also this original:

Ebay

First of all, the day bodice needed boning put in.  I also added some cute little glass buttons as decoration (more on the buttons later).  Afterwards, the only thing to do was to attach a real collar and undersleeves.  This set I hand embroidered from an 1853 Godey's Lady's Book pattern.



The Book only had the collar pattern so I modified the same design for the undersleeves.  I also have plans for a matching handkerchief but that is still getting embroidered.  For the undersleeves, I chose a design that seems to be quite popular among surviving originals.

Ebay

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

I think they turned out cute!


The trim idea I got from a few different originals.  Now that I have made this dress, I don't think I'll ever put velvet ribbon on top of fringe again, but you do see originals with this treatment so it is by no means incorrect.

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Ebay







The main part of this project was making an evening bodice.  The design was a somewhat simplified version of these two originals:

Victoria & Albert Museum

Ebay

The button idea came from a multitude of sources, but here is a dress with lace surrounded buttons.

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Overall, I'm happy with the result!






Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment