Monday, November 2, 2020

More 1850s/1860s Evening Head-dresses

 Yes, more of them  Four more, to be exact.  Mostly because, why not?

First up, I copied one worn by Queen Victoria in 1851.


I used millinery wire to build a base which was then covered in a brown velvet ribbon.  That was covered by a royal blue silk satin ribbon that I box pleated.  I added a bit of Chantilly lace to the back and put a silk flower on one side.  My flowers were bigger than Queen Victoria's so I only used one plus a few leaves instead of the three the Queen wore.





The next was a simple floral headdress.  I used just two floral stems from Timely Tresses and attached them by wrapping them in silk ribbon.  Super simple!  And really cute.




It was based off several originals, like this one:



Next up, I made another wire based headdress.  This one was based off this original:



I used apple green velvet ribbon and black Chantilly lace instead of the red velvet and blonde lace the original used.





And finally, I decided to remake a headdress that I made many years ago.  It was originally based off this engraving from Godey's Lady's Book, 1861.



Godey's also published four more headdresses that year.




I took off the flowers that were on the headdress, added wire to the top, and recovered it in black silk taffeta.  I put pearls on front and ostrich feathers in back.  I think it turned out cute!  I especially love that it is totally neutral.









Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment