Monday, November 23, 2020

1830s Shifts, or Chemises

 Okay, I've finally stopped dragging my feet in doing actual important 1830s projects... let's build a wardrobe!  Starting with shifts!  I'm making two today.  Currently, I don't foresee doing more than one day events with the 1830s and a good rule of thumb is to have fresh underthings for each day of your event plus an extra pair.  Therefore, two seems to be about right for right now.

I used the directions on page 46 of "The Workwoman's Guide"-the gored shifts.  I tried doing the gusseted ones last time but they didn't turn out so I'm going a different route.  It's an earlier style, more regency, but as the WWG was published in 1838, still applicable to 1836.  There are many museums that have collections of similar chemises.

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, early 19th century

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, early 19th century

I was a little concerned about the width of fabric fitting across my bust, but the pattern actually ended up being too large.  I really could have gone with the third size.  I'll remember that for next time!  It was simple enough to make up from the engraving.  All sewing was worked by hand and the side seams were felled.  No piping was needed as per the directions and looking at originals.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment