Wednesday, May 6, 2020

An 1840s Wrapper

This isolation period has been a time of optimistically prepping for future events.  This project is meant for Landmark Inn, where the target year is 1844.  I use my later wrappers so much that I knew an earlier one would be very useful.

I used a pattern from a book.  The pattern was taken directly from an original and therefore had to be enlarged and fitted to myself.  Martha McCain took the pattern from the original.  The book is below as well as the pictures of the wrapper.



It was a fairly simple garment to make up, completely hand stitched, of course.  I think I could have added a bit more width across the front of the wrapper-particularly for the skirt, but I am pleased with it. I tried very hard on the bodice to get the backstitches small and even-15-19 stitches to an inch.

The original wrapper featured seven different cottons in the garment (three different linings, fashion fabric, and three different facing fabrics).   I used four (one lining, fashion fabric, and two different facings).  Right now the belt is closed with a bit of silk ribbon but I don't like the way it matches the fabric so it may be changed.

Speaking of fabric, I thought the fabric matched with the original dress below nearly perfectly when I purchased it.  It wasn't until it was cut and I was starting to sew the skirt until I noticed the tiny green stars that most certainly are not correct.  Such a shame.  A great, period cotton ruined.  Oh, well.  I continued making it up and may perhaps replace it eventually with a more appropriate pattern.  I think a plaid would be lovely with that bias belt.

Anyway, on to the pictures!









Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment