Monday, April 3, 2017

Lilac Day Bodice and Fichu

I went down to Liendo this past weekend and had a blast.  At the end of the last tour, we had some descendants of the original family (the Groce family) come through to talk to us.  It was so much fun and such a treat to meet members of the family I portray,

Anyway, for once in my life I got myself together and actually had my projects put together a week BEFORE an event.  The poor ladies I work with are so used to hearing "Yeah, I finished it at midnight last night" when they comment on my dresses.  I finished a net fichu I had been working on (got that lace from www.cottonlace.com-wonderful guy to work with, by the way) and fixed up the lilac day bodice to wear.  Eventually I want to get some more Chantilly and decorate the bodice with it but I used the fichu for now.  I took the time to actually fix my old bodice pattern that I had created years ago so it fits so much better.  The neckline is actually at my neck and not super wide.  I fixed the creasing issues that came with my base being too long in the front.  Unfortunately, I didn't compensate with the darts and used my normal dart formula without remembering I fixed the pattern.  I had to cut out the darts at Liendo (with the dress half on) just to get the dress to fit.  I marked where my new darts should go while I had the bodice on and so it should be super easy to fix.  They just went up about an inch too high (the amount of fabric I took off at the waist) and I couldn't get it to fit over my bust.  Luckily, I had the fichu to cover the funky looking darts.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the fit of the new bodice, regardless of the fixable dart issue.  I'll have to measure where I have it pinned and memorize my new dart measurements before I embark on any new outfits.

This was the first time I got to wear the gown with the Chantilly lace on it which was both fun and terrifying.  I was worried that I might accidentally tear the lace somehow.  Luckily, I've worked at the house long enough to know my way around and which pieces of furniture to avoid (like the Louis XVI cabinet that has metal peeling off) so I didn't have a problem.  I might only wear this dress at Liendo to keep the lace safe.




The fichu was pinned but I had already started undressing when I realized that I hadn't gotten pictures yet so I hastily put undersleeves and jewelry back on and left the brooch off the fichu.  The fichu is an original pattern (I believe from 1869).  I used some cotton net I had and trimmed it with cotton lace from www.cottonlace.com.  The back edging is a 1/8" black velvet ribbon.  I think I'll have to make more fichus.  It was easy to put together and a nice little hand work project for when I don't feel like getting out the sewing machine.

Of course, I have posted about the lilac silk a couple of times before but this was the first time I got to use the day bodice.  Paula had made it up but the front wasn't fitting me so I cut a new front piece and just attached it to her back and sides.  It works really well.  The sleeves are pagoda, so I'm using it for 1858-1860 impressions only.  I attached my lily of the valley organdy collar and undersleeves (lace bought from www.farmhousefabrics.com).  Since I was using my brooch to pin the fichu down, I made a little velvet necktie for the base of my throat.

I really like how my hair turned out this time.  I made a bun in the middle of my hair, pinned in fake braids at my side, and simply pulled over a bit of my natural hair to cover where I pinned in the fake hair.  Then I put on my little pearl hair comb and covered it with a hair net.  I got lots of compliments on it and I never get compliments on my hairstyling abilities.

All in all, it was a busy month, which is nice.  I enjoy being able to talk to people.  We had lots of docents so I helped out when people were downstairs but then went into the music room and played the piano when everyone was upstairs.  I enjoy getting to play on a real piano for a change (all I have at my house is a keyboard) and to play on an original is a truly wonderful experience.

I think I might fix up the periwinkle blue 1850's skirt next and make a bodice to go with it.  Or I might just wear the lilac again with the evening bodice next month.  I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment