Sunday, April 23, 2017

Gold Shot Blue Gown Progress

The Land of the Forgotten... I do not know exactly where all these started projects go when I hit a brick wall and throw them in the closet in a fit of anger.  It seems when I finally get inspiration for these projects, I am unable to find them for several days and I turn the house inside out looking for them.  Then, as if by magic, they appear in the exact spot I remember throwing them so long ago, despite the fact that I had searched there many times.

This is the story of the gold shot blue silk I started so many months ago.  When I bought the silk, I expected a blue shot brown and had a perfect inspiration image for the dress that I wanted to copy nearly exactly.


It was perfect!  Brown and blue, with fringe, just how I imagined.  When I got the fabric, I got right to work.  I cut and made the skirt, then started cutting the bodice.  It wasn't until I started playing with the fringe that I realized something was off.  I had been sent the wrong fabric!  This wasn't blue shot brown; it was a gold/orange shot with blue.  And when I say gold/orange, I really mean bright Halloween orange.  Not something I would use as fringe.  There went all my ideas.  So into the Land of the Forgotten it went.

However, yesterday, looking for a dress at a museum, I found something that would work.




While the fabric is not similar at all, I do believe that I have found the perfect trim inspiration for the gold shot blue gown.  Thread covered buttons with rosettes!  I'm thinking about putting them all down the front of the dress.  I'm also considering putting strips of black velvet on the skirt and bodice as well.

Here is my idea for the buttons:


I'm thinking self-fabric then using the orange for the design.  It should pull it in nicely without using too much of the Halloween orange.  My plan is to wear it to Liendo in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment