Thursday, September 19, 2019

Blue Organdy Semi-Sheer

As I live in Texas, one can never have too many sheer dresses.  I've had this fabric for several years, and it's been so hot lately, that I felt it was time to make it up.

The fabric is from puresilks.us.  It's not nearly as sheer and fine as the picture made it seem. I tried purchasing an extra yard as I was making it up (2 years after purchasing the fabric) as I was a little short for trim but the new fabric is very sheer and fine.  Very nice fabric but unfortunately, not what I was sent the first time.  If you're purchasing this fabric, be sure to order plenty extra as the next time you order, it may not be the same fabric as you bought the first time!

The original I based this on a sheer dress from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It's actually piña cloth (fabric made from pineapple leaves) and not organdy, but as a sheer dress, the design elements wouldn't differ too much.





















Basically, a low necked dress with a self fabric waistband and then a self fabric fichu.  The fichu and pagoda sleeves are trimmed with shirring.

My version differed as I did box pleated trim instead of shirred trim.  The piña cloth would be super thin and the organdy wasn't and I felt pleated trim looked better.




I ended up being able to finish the dress with the first fabric, even though I wasn't sure.  I didn't have quite enough pleating to finish the fichu trimming.


I had to resort to piecing the last 6 inches of box pleating on the fichu.  This is what I had to work with to make 12 inches fabric to pleat:


Yeah, not a lot.  I ended up using a bit of bias to connect the pieces to make enough to finish the trimming.  Here's the process:

























I'm not used to cutting such close corners!  It ended up working and I had an inch left over.







My original plan was to bring this to Corsets and Cravats but I ended up bringing my sheer wool instead.  No matter, I'm sure it will get plenty of use in the future!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment