Thursday, August 15, 2019

An 1850's Marquis; or the Pretty in Pink Parasol

In my parasol collecting, I must admit I'm kind of a sucker for the sad ones in poor condition.  I think it makes me feel not quite so bad recovering them as I am restoring them back to life and not destroying them.  But I have to say, I rarely get them with covers in such poor condition as this poor, sweet lady.  She looked horrid in online pictures which is why I think no one ever purchased her.  I went by her for about a month, I believe, before I clicked on her and gave her a chance.  I saw her baleen ribs and purchased her on the spot.  When she came in, I realized that she wasn't near as bad as her online pictures made her look.  In fact, she was pretty put together for her age.































Neither the seller nor I knew what was underneath all that shredded silk.  After photographing her in her original state, I carefully cut her out of her shredded silk covers.  It wasn't even then that I noticed what made her special-I still just thought she was an ordinary 1850's parasol.

It wasn't until I took pictures of her uncovered in better lighting that I realized that she was a marquis!  I knew marquis parasols had been around since the early 1800's, but all the ones I ever came across had been 1860.  I loved her even more!














When I purchased her, I had no thought other than just bringing her back to life.  But after I saw her without her shredded cover, I realized that I just adored her!  So much beauty underneath the rags!  I loved the fact that she was a marquis.  I loved her simple bone carving-which I believe is just as elegant as the highly decorated ones I have.  I also loved that her upper shaft was also all bone-most of mine are bone below, but wood on top.  This lady was all bone.  I loved her little baleen ribs.  Honestly, the only thing that could make me adore her more (other than having a complete cover) were to be if she had little bone rib tips.  But as she had fringe, I suppose tips would be covered up anyway.

Her original cover was a dusty pink, so I tried to go for that same shade in recovering her.  I've always wanted a pink parasol, so I knew I was going to love recovering this one!  I ended up with more of a coral pink, but it still works and goes with the original fringe (which I saved).


After recovering her, I soaked the fringe in oxyclean overnight and in the morning, it was as good as new.  Then I was able to attach the fringe and use her.  She's still missing her finial-I'll have to source a replacement at some point.  I still pulled her out and used her at Liendo in May and June.  This one is one of my favorites!



















Her measurements are:
Unfolded length: 24"
Folded length: 13"
Handle length: 11"
Rib length: 10"
Fringe length: 3"

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment