Sunday, June 16, 2019

Two 1840's Folding Parasols and a Parasol Box

I have really started to enjoy this parasol collecting thing.  It's starting to get a bit obsessive!

This first parasol is one of my favorites.  She's from the 1840's and is just one of the loveliest things I own.

When searching online, I went past her for weeks because she had the same cover as the fringed 1850's parasol I already had and I didn't want to have two of the same parasol.  Finally, though, I ended up clicking the link to search through more pictures.  My goodness-this was nothing like my English wooden parasol!  Yes she had a broken finial, but most of my parasols do and I didn't let that bother me.  I ended up purchasing her after I saw that she had bone tips on her ribs-I didn't have a parasol with bone tips in my collection yet and I instantly decided to purchase her without looking too much into the pictures after that.

When she came in, I was surprised.  In addition to the bone tips, her stick was dotted with mother-of-pearl dots.  Totally gorgeous!  She instantly became one of my favorites!

My initial plan was to keep her all original, but she's just so pretty, I really want to use her!  She's still original for now, but eventually she will be recovered.  Here she is!
















32” long when unfolded (finial is broken, actual measurement would have been longer.  Not counting the finial, the unfolded length is 31”)
18” long when folded (finial is broken, actual measurement would have been longer.  Not counting the finial, the length is 17”)
Cover/canopy diameter is 25”
Ribs are 14” to bone tips, tips are 1” with a total rib length of 15”
1” height of (broken) finial.
This is the fabric I plan on recovering her in.  It isn't perfect, but it is an embroidered silk taffeta in brown so I can compromise for that.




The second was listed as an 1880's parasol.  I have no idea why the seller thought that-this little lady has nothing in common with an 1880's parasol.  I spent more on her than I have on any other parasol yet, but I did so for a couple of reasons: first, she is absolutely complete-no missing finial, broken ribs, etc.  Secondly, her cover was in great condition.  Her lining not so much but her moire cover looks great!  Also, she has managed to retain her original box.  I really wanted to add that to my collection!






















This one is staying all original as long as she's with me.  She really is in great condition for her age-just her lining is a little shot. The parasol’s ribs are baleen.  The stick and handle are white painted wood with a little tip (hand holding a bead) of bone.  The finial is also bone and has a hand towards the canopy end.  The cover is a rust brown silk moire and is lined in a thin silk (not as shiny or slinky has china silk, but similar in china silk in weight).  She has little bone rib tips.
34.25” long when unfolded, 21.125” long when folded, shaft length is 16.125", wood handle is 11.875", bone handle tip is 1.625", for a total handle length of 13.5", cover/canopy diameter is 25.5", Ribs are 14” to bone tips, tips are .875” with a total rib length of 14.875”, ?” height of finial.

Parasol box is 22" long, just a hair over 1.5" wide, and is 1.5" tall.  The lid is 22" long, 1.625" wide, and .75" tall.  The blue is a tape of sort that strengthens the edges.  It is not evenly applied.  The material of the box appears to be a thin pasteboard.







Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment