Sunday, November 12, 2017

Welbourne 1861

So... surprise! I was off by a year-we did 1861 at Welbourne this year and not 1860.  While that meant some of my Welbourne plans had to be scrapped, it also called for some frantic, last minute sewing.  Biggest change-I did not wear the striped dress.  I'm saving it for December Liendo.  Instead, I made up the purple/green shot dress (the 'peacock dress' will probably get its own post at some point)

All photos in this post are by Jessica M. Craig unless otherwise noted.

For Friday, I wore the peacock dress.  Photos really do not do this fabric justice.  It just looks blue in pictures, but it isn't.  It's a royal purple shot with an emerald green-looks more teal in person with purple/green highlights.  I'll write a more detailed post on it later, but essentially it is a low necked gown with fichu for day wear.  I also wore a chemisette with it for more coverage.  Looking at CDV's, I'm young enough I could probably have gone without it, but since I was portraying an engaged woman (Nettie was actually married earlier but we 'fudged' history a bit so we had an excuse to be in Virginia-trousseau shopping!!), I opted for a style that would have been worn by adults more than teenagers/young adults.  The sleeves are Van Dyke sleeves; I have seen the style in loads of CDV's of teenagers and young girls.  I also attached a pagoda to the bottom, making it an early war gown.

Playing the piano.

Most everyone was being super productive-except me.  I just sat there and chatted with people.

Hair is a mess!  The end of my braid worked its way out of my bun.

Mrs. and Miss Groce

For evening, I made an organdy fichu, but no pictures of it.  I'm lending it to someone on Civil War Weekend at Liendo so perhaps I'll get some pictures of it then.

On Saturday, I wore the rosette dress.
Dinners were usually in 1st person, which was fun.

On an afternoon stroll.

I love this picture!

Still on our stroll.  We did lots of walking throughout the weekend.
Photo shoot after the group photos.  Thanks to Paula for these!

Just the dress.  Rosettes are hidden.  I may have to redo the pleats so they stand out more.

1861 selfie!

Mrs. Courtney Groce and Miss Henrietta Groce

Also on Saturday, Jessica came back out to the horses with us and took some amazing shots of the riding habit for me.  Thank you, Jessica!!!

Out for another walk, after the horses.  I didn't feel like changing out of the habit!

Making a new friend

Back of the habit

Horse didn't want me to pet him

This one was loving!

Yay for completed habit!

Walking up the back steps to Welbourne.

Going on another walk.  Gloves got tucked into the habit early on.  Belt never made it on.
I'll have to make a riding habit post soon, too.  Especially now that I actually got to wear it!  I still need to fix the saddle.  Oh, and find a horse.  I guess that's an important part of the whole ensemble.  Anyway, the habit was super fun to wear but a little cumbersome to walk in because it was fairly heavy.  LOTS of fabric in that thing.  Riding shouldn't be too bad once I actually get into the saddle.

Anyway, Saturday night, I wore the lilac and chantilly gown.  Not too many pictures, but here are a few:

Sitting by the fire.  It was chilly up in Virginia!

Both of us were able to wear new evening gowns!

Front/side of the gown.

Back of the dress.

Sunday, I wore the black wool.  I made a new bodice for it to be more 1860's which turned out nice.  Neckline came out way too big and will have to be fixed, but it was workable and fun to wear.



And of course, our yearly group shot.


I am so glad I got to attend again this year.  I am already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

  1. Your whole wardrobe was so beautiful! I'm so glad that I had the chance to see everything in person. That purple evening dress with the original black lace is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete