Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Finished 1850's Bonnet

Hello everyone and merry Christmas!  I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday break and spending time with family and friends.

I'm been keeping myself super busy trying to get all these projects completed.  So far, I have mostly completed the nightgown (details on construction when it is complete), finished fringing my original shawl (pictures to come!), and begun on my broderie anglaise petticoat.  I've also finished an 1850's bonnet for the Texas Living History Association's annual conference in just a few short weeks.

Once upon a time, I actually had an 1850's bonnet but I never wore it because I never had the occasion to.  Therefore, I sold it (always a bad, bad idea.  Never sell your living history stuff-it may come in handy one day!).  A few months later, my friend Paula gifted me a silk taffeta ball dress that doesn't fit her anymore.  Since the skirt isn't balanced, it really works better as an 1850's gown.  I haven't had a chance to fit the bodice to me yet, but over the summer I made a lovely 1850's basque to wear with the skirt during the Bell County Museum's summer camps.  Since it was an indoor event, I had no need for a bonnet.
The collar is an antique one, not originally 1860's, but I cut it down to make it work.  I have the matching cuffs as well, but I haven't attached them to undersleeves yet.  The skirt, as I have said before, is an absolutely gorgeous silk taffeta.  The basque is made of black cotton velveteen (a closer match to period velvet from the originals I've handled) and has pagoda sleeves.  The front closure is hooks and eyes, although I am considering adding some sort of fancy closure.

Since I may be spending some time outside for the conference, I've decided I want another 1850's bonnet.  This one is based off the bonnet here at least in trimmings.  The bonnet didn't cost anything as I had everything I needed in my stash.
I'm actually quite fond of the simplicity.  I like that there is minimal decor inside-the last bonnet drove me crazy with all the silk flowers rustling around my ears.  I couldn't hear anything but rustling.

I can't wait to wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment