Tuesday, July 2, 2019

New Adventures

When I started doing living history, I really wanted to do 1850's but events around me were only for the 1860's and that is what I started doing.  I knew I'd eventually dip down into the 50's and I had no issues doing up to 1950's.  But there were two things I knew I'd never do: 1830's and 1920's.  So, I've doing 1850's, 1860's, 1870, 1910's, 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's.  I was still quite positive I would never, ever, ever do my most despised of all eras: the 1830's and 1920's.

Well, after 7 years in the hobby and feeling very set in my opinions about those two decades, I've jumped the gun and am going to start doing the 1830's.  And ya'll have no idea how much I despised the 1830's.  In fact, I don't think 'despised' is quite strong enough word to describe exactly I want to convey.  That whole decade is just so... hideous.





There's nothing I find particularly elegant or pretty about it.  The sleeves, hair, bonnets, short skirts-all of it is just too much.  I think Abby from American Duchess may have described the 1830s the best: "It's basically like everyone got really drunk and really stoned and tried to look as ridiculous as possible."  I think that sums the 1830's up very well.

So the whole reason into going into the 1830s.  Paula emailed me earlier this week and asked if I would want to docent at this new 1830's reconstructed town that is currently being built.  They were asking for costumed volunteers/docents/tradespeople to interpret the town.  The Groce family was around in the 1830s and played a huge roll in Texas independence.  I thought it would be interesting to play the Groces at a different time and the 1830s would have been the family's heyday.  Well, not for family matters, but financially/politically/socially, most definitely.  Also, I am a Texan-and very proud of it.  My family was part of Stephen F. Austin's colonies to Texas and so I do have a long, deep history here.  And Texas's independence was fought and won in the 1830s.  That is super important and honestly, not ALL the dresses had to be that... insane, right???

So I started looking into the 1830s. And I had to admit, extant dresses weren't nearly as ridiculous as fashion plates (that's pretty much true of any era).  Extant dresses, especially post 1831/1832ish, really weren't THAT bad.  Especially after 1835/1836 when the giant sleeves drop down to the bottom part of the arm and not the top.




Hair and bonnets will be something I will contend with later.  Not something I'm a fan of but I'm sure I'll find something I can tolerate that is still correct.

So, layers.  Stockings and shoes will be the first layer.  White stockings were the norm for 1830's and I have plenty of silk and cotton white stockings I use for 1850's and 1860's and will continue using those.  For shoes, I purchased two (yes, two) pairs of the Eliza from American Duchess.  If ya'll don't know about American Duchess, go check them out!  They've got shoes from 18th century all the way through the 1930's.



Next up, chemises/shifts. While I very well could use my 1850's chemise as in theory no one should see it, I am making a few 1830's chemises.   Two, most likely, so I'll have an extra.  I don't plan on doing more than single day events but if I end up doing weekend events, I'll make a few extra.  I'm sticking with my 'one per day plus an extra' I use for packing for 1860's events.  But two to start with is a good plan.

Original shift
I'll probably use the Workwoman's Guide for a pattern but I haven't really looked into it yet.

My (very basic) research suggests that drawers were used but weren't universal yet.  I hate fabric between my legs so I'm opting for no drawers.  Finally, something I can love about the 1830's!!

Then of course there is the corset, or stays.  Very different than 1850's and 1860's corsets.  I have a pattern-I bought one off Etsy just because it had all the pattern sizes but I really wanted the Redthreaded corset pattern.  If this 1830's thing goes off, my next stays will be Redthreaded.  My next 1860's corset may be Redthreaded, too.  I have heard AMAZING things about their corsets but my bust, waist, and hips are all completely different sizes and since this is my first 1830's experience, I didn't feel comfortable working with just a single sized pattern.  So I bought the cheap pattern.  We'll see how this goes.

1830's corset - The Underpinnings Museum

Petticoats are basic and I can use either one of my plain or tucked underpetticoats.  Fortunately, I have a corded petticoat that I use for early 1850's events.  They didn't change much or at all so I can still use that.  Bum pads/bustle pads also didn't change so I can still use mine.  Most likely, I'll use my tucked and plain over petticoats to go over the corded petticoat.  So basically, I only need to make chemises and a corset for the 1830's-everything else can pull double duty.

Then comes the dress.  I have not designed it, but I did buy fabric.


It is remarkably similar in design to this original dress's fabric:


The pattern actually does come in a color scheme with a cream background which would have been super close to the original but with my coloring, cream doesn't work very well.  There is also a lighter purple background one that probably would have been better for 1830's but I didn't see it until after I purchased the darker purple.  But you do see original gowns in dark purple so I think I'll be okay.




I also purchased Lynn McMaster's 1830's bonnet and cap pattern as Timely Tresses doesn't have their 1830's bonnet pattern out yet.  I haven't designed or thought of a color scheme yet.  I also don't have an 1830's parasol yet but ya'll know that will be a requirement!  I will most likely need a pelerine as well, but I can figure that out later, too.  For 3 days of 1830's prep, I've gotten a lot done and planned already.  Most things have been purchased or will come from the stash so now it'll just be starting from skin out sewing.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment