Friday, July 5, 2019

A Tale of Two Pairs of Footwear

Okay.  I am not a cobbler.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  I've attempted to make shoes before but they never worked.  I even did a pattern at one point, it worked, then did months and months of Berlin wool work only to have the resulting needlework slippers NOT fit.  That was frustrating!

So I took a few (years) off from shoes, then regrouped and tried again.  I used a combination of Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker and modern shoe that was coming apart to make the sole pattern.

For the upper, I took my American Duchess slippers and took measurements from that then modify some things so that the parts that don't fit perfectly now fit.  With my new pattern, I made two pairs of slippers.  Neither are perfect, but they work and they'll be nice for dancing and lounging around the house.

First up, I made some slippers out of a black silk taffeta.  These turned out better than the other pair.  They fit nice and are super comfortable.  The left slipper fits a little better than the right, which makes no sense to me as I made them at the same time and used the same pattern reversed so it SHOULD have fit exactly the same.  Maybe my feet are different.  Interesting.  That'll be something I'll have to look into.





Next, I made some leather slippers.  Again, the left fit better than the right.  The right foot is a little tight across the top.  I may end up making a right upper specifically to accommodate what I assume is a fatter right foot.  Still, the right slipper looks fine.  The left's toe is wider than the other slippers.  I guess I missed my seam allowance on this one.  I'm not going to worry about it.  These will likely be worn once a year or less for dancing.






I've already cut soles, inner soles, and an upper for an embroidered silk slippers to go with my green wrapper.  I've also cut soles and inner soles for a Berlin work pair of slippers to go with a to-be-made 'Greek key wrapper' (more on that later).  I also have plans for Berlin work slippers for the wool wrapper and plans for a late war wrapper and matching slippers so I'll be making some more footwear soon!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment